Chicken, Broccoli Rabe & Feta on Toast
The assertive flavor of broccoli rabe can be a schoolyard bully in dishes. But here, the sweet tomatoes and briny feta stand up to its bite, rendering this dish a rustic but comforting favorite. Still, if broccoli rabe proves too strong for your taste, you can substitute broccolini or even tiny, trimmed broccoli florets.
- 4 thick slices whole-wheat country bread
- 1 clove garlic, peeled (optional), plus 1/4 cup chopped garlic
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound chicken tenders, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, stems trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces, or 2 bunches broccolini, chopped (see Ingredient note)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Grill or toast bread. Lightly rub with peeled garlic clove, if desired. Discard the garlic.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add chicken; cook, stirring occasionally, until just cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer the chicken and any juices to a plate; cover to keep warm.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add chopped garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant but not brown, about 30 seconds. Add broccoli rabe (or broccolini) and cook, stirring often, until bright green and just wilted, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, vinegar, salt and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes are beginning to break down, 2 to 4 minutes. Return the chicken and juices to the pan, add feta cheese and stir to combine. Cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve warm over garlic toasts.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient Note: Pleasantly pungent and mildly bitter, broccoli rabe, or rapini, is a member of the cabbage family and commonly used in Mediterranean cooking. Broccolini (a cross between broccoli and Chinese kale) is sweet and tender - the florets and stalks are edible.
Per serving: 313 calories; 11 g fat (5 g sat, 5 g mono); 85 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 35 g protein; 4 g fiber; 653 mg sodium; 423 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (160% daily value), Vitamin A (140% dv), Selenium (28% dv), Calcium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient