Stovetop Chicken & Broccoli Casserole
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
We trimmed 9 grams of fat and almost 100 calories in this makeover of cheesy chicken-and-broccoli casserole. All the raw ingredients are layered in a skillet, then simmered for a quick weeknight dinner.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat egg noodles
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 14- to 16-ounce package frozen broccoli florets, thawed and chopped, if desired
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Colby-Jack or Cheddar cheese
- Place noodles in a large skillet. Pour broth over the noodles. Layer chicken, then broccoli over the noodles.
- Whisk milk, mayonnaise, flour, dry mustard, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Pour over the broccoli.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook, stirring once or twice, until the noodles and chicken are cooked through, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Meanwhile, position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- When the casserole is done, sprinkle cheese on top and broil until lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
Per serving: 446 calories; 15 g fat (7 g sat, 4 g mono); 75 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 33 g protein; 6 g fiber; 662 mg sodium; 424 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Calcium (30% dv), Vitamin A (23% dv), Folate (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- March/April 2012