Stovetop Chicken & Broccoli Casserole
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
We trimmed 9 grams of fat and almost 100 calories in this makeover of cheesy chicken-and-broccoli casserole. All the raw ingredients are layered in a skillet, then simmered for a quick weeknight dinner.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat egg noodles
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 14- to 16-ounce package frozen broccoli florets, thawed and chopped, if desired
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Colby-Jack or Cheddar cheese
- Place noodles in a large skillet. Pour broth over the noodles. Layer chicken, then broccoli over the noodles.
- Whisk milk, mayonnaise, flour, dry mustard, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Pour over the broccoli.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook, stirring once or twice, until the noodles and chicken are cooked through, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Meanwhile, position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- When the casserole is done, sprinkle cheese on top and broil until lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
Per serving: 446 calories; 15 g fat (7 g sat, 4 g mono); 75 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 33 g protein; 6 g fiber; 662 mg sodium; 424 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Calcium (30% dv), Vitamin A (23% dv), Folate (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2012