Stovetop Chicken & Broccoli Casserole
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
We trimmed 9 grams of fat and almost 100 calories in this makeover of cheesy chicken-and-broccoli casserole. All the raw ingredients are layered in a skillet, then simmered for a quick weeknight dinner.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat egg noodles
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 14- to 16-ounce package frozen broccoli florets, thawed and chopped, if desired
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Colby-Jack or Cheddar cheese
- Place noodles in a large skillet. Pour broth over the noodles. Layer chicken, then broccoli over the noodles.
- Whisk milk, mayonnaise, flour, dry mustard, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Pour over the broccoli.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook, stirring once or twice, until the noodles and chicken are cooked through, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Meanwhile, position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- When the casserole is done, sprinkle cheese on top and broil until lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
Per serving: 446 calories; 15 g fat (7 g sat, 4 g mono); 75 mg cholesterol; 41 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 33 g protein; 6 g fiber; 662 mg sodium; 424 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Calcium (30% dv), Vitamin A (23% dv), Folate (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2012