Chicken Breasts with Roasted Lemons
Tangy roasted lemons harmonize beautifully with chicken. They are also delicious chopped and sprinkled over fish.
- 3 medium lemons, thinly sliced and seeded
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, (about 1 pound total), trimmed
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons drained capers, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided
- To prepare roasted lemons: Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange lemon slices in a single layer on it. Brush the lemon slices with 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Roast the lemons until slightly dry and beginning to brown around the edges, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare chicken: Cover chicken with plastic wrap and pound with a rolling pin or heavy skillet until flattened to about 1/2 inch thick. Sprinkle the chicken with 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper. Place flour in a shallow dish and dredge the chicken to coat both sides; shake off excess (discard remaining flour).
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Add broth and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Stir in capers. Boil until the liquid is reduced to syrup consistency, 5 to 8 minutes, turning the chicken halfway. Add the roasted lemons, butter, 2 tablespoons parsley and more pepper, if desired; simmer until the butter melts and the chicken is cooked through, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a platter. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon parsley and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the roasted lemons (Step 1) for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 219 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 72 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 28 g protein; 1 g fiber; 396 mg sodium; 376 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (40% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 4 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- New Year's Eve