Chicken Breasts with Roasted Lemons
Tangy roasted lemons harmonize beautifully with chicken. They are also delicious chopped and sprinkled over fish.
- 3 medium lemons, thinly sliced and seeded
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, (about 1 pound total), trimmed
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons drained capers, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided
- To prepare roasted lemons: Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange lemon slices in a single layer on it. Brush the lemon slices with 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Roast the lemons until slightly dry and beginning to brown around the edges, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare chicken: Cover chicken with plastic wrap and pound with a rolling pin or heavy skillet until flattened to about 1/2 inch thick. Sprinkle the chicken with 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper. Place flour in a shallow dish and dredge the chicken to coat both sides; shake off excess (discard remaining flour).
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Add broth and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Stir in capers. Boil until the liquid is reduced to syrup consistency, 5 to 8 minutes, turning the chicken halfway. Add the roasted lemons, butter, 2 tablespoons parsley and more pepper, if desired; simmer until the butter melts and the chicken is cooked through, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a platter. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon parsley and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the roasted lemons (Step 1) for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 219 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 72 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 28 g protein; 1 g fiber; 396 mg sodium; 376 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (40% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 4 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- New Year's Eve
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry