Chicken Breasts with Roasted Lemons
Tangy roasted lemons harmonize beautifully with chicken. They are also delicious chopped and sprinkled over fish.
- 3 medium lemons, thinly sliced and seeded
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, (about 1 pound total), trimmed
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons drained capers, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided
- To prepare roasted lemons: Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange lemon slices in a single layer on it. Brush the lemon slices with 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Roast the lemons until slightly dry and beginning to brown around the edges, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare chicken: Cover chicken with plastic wrap and pound with a rolling pin or heavy skillet until flattened to about 1/2 inch thick. Sprinkle the chicken with 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper. Place flour in a shallow dish and dredge the chicken to coat both sides; shake off excess (discard remaining flour).
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Add broth and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Stir in capers. Boil until the liquid is reduced to syrup consistency, 5 to 8 minutes, turning the chicken halfway. Add the roasted lemons, butter, 2 tablespoons parsley and more pepper, if desired; simmer until the butter melts and the chicken is cooked through, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a platter. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon parsley and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the roasted lemons (Step 1) for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 219 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 72 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 28 g protein; 1 g fiber; 396 mg sodium; 376 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (40% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 4 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- New Year's Eve