Chicken, Black Bean, Corn & Tomato Salad
From EatingWell: March/April 1994
Sherry vinegar deepens the lively flavors of this Southwestern salad, and beans and fresh tomatoes keep it moist. Make it a meal: Strawberry-Mango Margarita Compote is a cool finish.
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and poached (see Tip)
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1 large vine-ripened tomato, or 2 plum tomatoes, cored and diced
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar, or cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions, (3 scallions)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Shred chicken and combine with black beans, tomatoes and corn in a salad bowl.
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté until just beginning to color, about 30 seconds. Add oregano and cumin; stir until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Remove from the heat; add vinegar and salt. Pour over the salad. Add scallions and parsley; gently toss to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
- Tip: To poach chicken breasts: Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a medium skillet or saucepan and add lightly salted water to cover; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes.
Per serving: 243 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 47 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 6 g fiber; 402 mg sodium; 602 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (20% daily value), Vitamin C (28% dv), Iron (16% dv), Selenium (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1994