Chicken, Black Bean, Corn & Tomato Salad
From EatingWell: March/April 1994
Sherry vinegar deepens the lively flavors of this Southwestern salad, and beans and fresh tomatoes keep it moist. Make it a meal: Strawberry-Mango Margarita Compote is a cool finish.
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and poached (see Tip)
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1 large vine-ripened tomato, or 2 plum tomatoes, cored and diced
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar, or cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions, (3 scallions)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Shred chicken and combine with black beans, tomatoes and corn in a salad bowl.
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté until just beginning to color, about 30 seconds. Add oregano and cumin; stir until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Remove from the heat; add vinegar and salt. Pour over the salad. Add scallions and parsley; gently toss to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
- Tip: To poach chicken breasts: Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a medium skillet or saucepan and add lightly salted water to cover; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes.
Per serving: 243 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 47 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 6 g fiber; 402 mg sodium; 602 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (20% daily value), Vitamin C (28% dv), Iron (16% dv), Selenium (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March/April 1994