Chicken, Black Bean, Corn & Tomato Salad
From EatingWell: March/April 1994
Sherry vinegar deepens the lively flavors of this Southwestern salad, and beans and fresh tomatoes keep it moist. Make it a meal: Strawberry-Mango Margarita Compote is a cool finish.
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and poached (see Tip)
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1 large vine-ripened tomato, or 2 plum tomatoes, cored and diced
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar, or cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions, (3 scallions)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Shred chicken and combine with black beans, tomatoes and corn in a salad bowl.
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté until just beginning to color, about 30 seconds. Add oregano and cumin; stir until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Remove from the heat; add vinegar and salt. Pour over the salad. Add scallions and parsley; gently toss to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
- Tip: To poach chicken breasts: Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a medium skillet or saucepan and add lightly salted water to cover; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes.
Per serving: 243 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 47 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 6 g fiber; 402 mg sodium; 602 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (20% daily value), Vitamin C (28% dv), Iron (16% dv), Selenium (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March/April 1994