Chicken, Black Bean, Corn & Tomato Salad
From EatingWell: March/April 1994
Sherry vinegar deepens the lively flavors of this Southwestern salad, and beans and fresh tomatoes keep it moist. Make it a meal: Strawberry-Mango Margarita Compote is a cool finish.
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and poached (see Tip)
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1 large vine-ripened tomato, or 2 plum tomatoes, cored and diced
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar, or cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions, (3 scallions)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Shred chicken and combine with black beans, tomatoes and corn in a salad bowl.
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté until just beginning to color, about 30 seconds. Add oregano and cumin; stir until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Remove from the heat; add vinegar and salt. Pour over the salad. Add scallions and parsley; gently toss to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
- Tip: To poach chicken breasts: Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a medium skillet or saucepan and add lightly salted water to cover; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes.
Per serving: 243 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 47 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 6 g fiber; 402 mg sodium; 602 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (20% daily value), Vitamin C (28% dv), Iron (16% dv), Selenium (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1994