Chicken, Black Bean, Corn & Tomato Salad
From EatingWell: March/April 1994
Sherry vinegar deepens the lively flavors of this Southwestern salad, and beans and fresh tomatoes keep it moist. Make it a meal: Strawberry-Mango Margarita Compote is a cool finish.
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and poached (see Tip)
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1 large vine-ripened tomato, or 2 plum tomatoes, cored and diced
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar, or cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions, (3 scallions)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Shred chicken and combine with black beans, tomatoes and corn in a salad bowl.
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté until just beginning to color, about 30 seconds. Add oregano and cumin; stir until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Remove from the heat; add vinegar and salt. Pour over the salad. Add scallions and parsley; gently toss to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
- Tip: To poach chicken breasts: Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a medium skillet or saucepan and add lightly salted water to cover; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes.
Per serving: 243 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 47 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 6 g fiber; 402 mg sodium; 602 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (20% daily value), Vitamin C (28% dv), Iron (16% dv), Selenium (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1994