This recipe is well written and easy to follow. The sausage is flavorful and delicious. We've had no problem with the cooking instructions. We used dried sage and cortland apples.
From EatingWell: September/October 2009
It’s easy to make your own patty sausage with just a few healthy ingredients like ground chicken, apples, onion and savory spices like sage and fennel. You can use ground turkey instead of ground chicken if you prefer.
3 Reviews for Chicken-Apple Sausage
I've added this recipe to my normal rotation, but it's taken some trial and error to perfect. These patties burn VERY easily. At first the outside was burning and the inside was raw. Over time I've learned I need to cook them over LOW heat and put a lid on the pan. This also keeps the patties moist. I check for doneness using a meat thermometer.
I use lean white ground turkey. It's important to use good quality meat. I also use a teaspoon of dried sage instead of fresh.
These don't hold together very well. I portion out the meat and arrange on wax paper that's been sprayed with cooking spray, then form the patties by folding over the wax paper.
Overall these are delicious and worth the effort once you figure out how to avoid burning them.
If I were to make this again I would use ground chicken/turkey with skin in. I made it with skinless ground turkey breast and it came out a little too dry.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)