From EatingWell: September/October 2009
It’s easy to make your own patty sausage with just a few healthy ingredients like ground chicken, apples, onion and savory spices like sage and fennel. You can use ground turkey instead of ground chicken if you prefer.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 medium sweet apple, such as Gala or Honeycrisp, peeled and diced
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, about 2 minutes. Add apples and cook, stirring, 2 more minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and cool for 5 minutes. Wipe out the pan.
- Add chicken, sage, sugar, fennel, salt and pepper to the bowl with the apples and onions. Gently mix to combine.
- Generously coat the pan with cooking spray and heat over medium. Using a 1/3-cup measure, scoop 4 portions of the sausage mixture into pan, flattening each into a 3-inch patty. Cook until the patties are browned and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side, adjusting the heat as necessary to prevent burning. Coat the pan with cooking spray again and repeat with remaining sausage mixture.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze the cooked sausage in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Per patty: 112 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 49 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 0 g fiber; 253 mg sodium; 332 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 medium fat meat
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- September/October 2009