Chicken “Carne” Adovada
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
Here we braise chicken thighs in a brick-red chile sauce. This dish is even tastier the next day. Serve with flour tortillas and, though it’s not traditional, we like the contrast of creamy avocado with it.
- 4 ounces whole mild-to-medium-hot dried red New Mexican chiles (16-20 small to medium), stemmed and seeded
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 1/4 cups chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Coat a large baking dish or Dutch oven with cooking spray.
- Rinse chiles; spread out on a baking sheet. Toast in the oven until darkened and fragrant, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Let cool, then break each chile into several pieces.
- Puree half the toasted chiles with 1 cup broth in a blender until only tiny pieces of chile are visible. Pour into the prepared baking dish. Puree the remaining chiles with the remaining 1 cup broth, onion, garlic, vinegar, oregano and salt until smooth. Pour into the baking dish and stir together with the rest of the sauce. Add chicken; stir to coat.
- Bake until the chicken is tender and the sauce is thick, about 1 1/2 hours.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 307 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 99 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 34 g protein; 3 g fiber; 675 mg sodium; 374 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (281% daily value), Zinc (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Main Ingredient
- September/October 2010