Chicken “Carne” Adovada
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
Here we braise chicken thighs in a brick-red chile sauce. This dish is even tastier the next day. Serve with flour tortillas and, though it’s not traditional, we like the contrast of creamy avocado with it.
- 4 ounces whole mild-to-medium-hot dried red New Mexican chiles (16-20 small to medium), stemmed and seeded
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 1/4 cups chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Coat a large baking dish or Dutch oven with cooking spray.
- Rinse chiles; spread out on a baking sheet. Toast in the oven until darkened and fragrant, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Let cool, then break each chile into several pieces.
- Puree half the toasted chiles with 1 cup broth in a blender until only tiny pieces of chile are visible. Pour into the prepared baking dish. Puree the remaining chiles with the remaining 1 cup broth, onion, garlic, vinegar, oregano and salt until smooth. Pour into the baking dish and stir together with the rest of the sauce. Add chicken; stir to coat.
- Bake until the chicken is tender and the sauce is thick, about 1 1/2 hours.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 307 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 99 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 34 g protein; 3 g fiber; 675 mg sodium; 374 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (281% daily value), Zinc (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- September/October 2010