Chicken “Carne” Adovada
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
Here we braise chicken thighs in a brick-red chile sauce. This dish is even tastier the next day. Serve with flour tortillas and, though it’s not traditional, we like the contrast of creamy avocado with it.
- 4 ounces whole mild-to-medium-hot dried red New Mexican chiles (16-20 small to medium), stemmed and seeded
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 1/4 cups chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Coat a large baking dish or Dutch oven with cooking spray.
- Rinse chiles; spread out on a baking sheet. Toast in the oven until darkened and fragrant, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Let cool, then break each chile into several pieces.
- Puree half the toasted chiles with 1 cup broth in a blender until only tiny pieces of chile are visible. Pour into the prepared baking dish. Puree the remaining chiles with the remaining 1 cup broth, onion, garlic, vinegar, oregano and salt until smooth. Pour into the baking dish and stir together with the rest of the sauce. Add chicken; stir to coat.
- Bake until the chicken is tender and the sauce is thick, about 1 1/2 hours.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 307 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 99 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 34 g protein; 3 g fiber; 675 mg sodium; 374 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (281% daily value), Zinc (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Main Ingredient
- September/October 2010