Chicken “Carne” Adovada
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
Here we braise chicken thighs in a brick-red chile sauce. This dish is even tastier the next day. Serve with flour tortillas and, though it’s not traditional, we like the contrast of creamy avocado with it.
- 4 ounces whole mild-to-medium-hot dried red New Mexican chiles (16-20 small to medium), stemmed and seeded
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 1/4 cups chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Coat a large baking dish or Dutch oven with cooking spray.
- Rinse chiles; spread out on a baking sheet. Toast in the oven until darkened and fragrant, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Let cool, then break each chile into several pieces.
- Puree half the toasted chiles with 1 cup broth in a blender until only tiny pieces of chile are visible. Pour into the prepared baking dish. Puree the remaining chiles with the remaining 1 cup broth, onion, garlic, vinegar, oregano and salt until smooth. Pour into the baking dish and stir together with the rest of the sauce. Add chicken; stir to coat.
- Bake until the chicken is tender and the sauce is thick, about 1 1/2 hours.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 307 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 99 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 34 g protein; 3 g fiber; 675 mg sodium; 374 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (281% daily value), Zinc (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- September/October 2010