Chicken Adobo Kebabs
Serve with Black Beans & RIce and salsa alongside.
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, peeled, quartered and separated into layers
- Lemon wedges
- Blend 1 tablespoon lemon juice, garlic, oregano, paprika, salt, cumin, cinnamon and pepper in a medium bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Mix oil and the remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Thread chicken and onion pieces alternately onto 4 or 8 skewers.
- Oil the grill rack. Grill the kebabs, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through, 6 to 7 minutes, basting the cooked side with the reserved lemon-oil mixture. Serve immediately, with lemon wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Metal or bamboo skewers
- When using bamboo skewers, wrap the exposed parts with foil to keep the bamboo from burning. (Contrary to popular opinion, soaking skewers in water does not protect them.)
- To oil a grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to spray the food with cooking spray.
Per serving: 171 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 27 g protein; 2 g fiber; 658 mg sodium; 386 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Potassium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Everyday favorites
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation