Chicken Adobo Kebabs
Serve with Black Beans & RIce and salsa alongside.
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, peeled, quartered and separated into layers
- Lemon wedges
- Blend 1 tablespoon lemon juice, garlic, oregano, paprika, salt, cumin, cinnamon and pepper in a medium bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Mix oil and the remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Thread chicken and onion pieces alternately onto 4 or 8 skewers.
- Oil the grill rack. Grill the kebabs, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through, 6 to 7 minutes, basting the cooked side with the reserved lemon-oil mixture. Serve immediately, with lemon wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Metal or bamboo skewers
- When using bamboo skewers, wrap the exposed parts with foil to keep the bamboo from burning. (Contrary to popular opinion, soaking skewers in water does not protect them.)
- To oil a grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to spray the food with cooking spray.
Per serving: 171 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 27 g protein; 2 g fiber; 658 mg sodium; 386 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Potassium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Everyday favorites
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique