Chicken a la King
From EatingWell: EatingWell for a Healthy Heart Cookbook (2008)
There's no need to feel guilty over this classic creamy combination of chicken, peppers and mushrooms. Our version uses low-fat milk and flour for thickening to make it plenty rich without all the saturated fat. Serve over whole-wheat egg noodles.
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 10 ounces white mushrooms, quartered
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup dry sherry, (see Note)
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 4-ounce jar sliced pimientos, rinsed
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
- Toss chicken and flour in a medium bowl until coated. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Reserving the remaining flour, add the chicken to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Add mushrooms, bell pepper, salt and pepper, and cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms are softened and starting to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Pour in sherry; bring to a boil and cook, stirring to scrape up any browned bits, 3 minutes.
- Whisk broth and milk into the reserved flour until smooth. Stir the mixture into the pan. Bring to a simmer, stirring often. Stir in pimientos and the chicken and return to a simmer. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in scallions and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Sherry is a type of fortified wine originally from southern Spain. Don't use the “cooking sherry” sold in many supermarkets—it can be surprisingly high in sodium. Instead, purchase dry sherry that's sold with other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store.
Per serving: 267 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 65 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 1 g fiber; 467 mg sodium; 626 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (67% daily value), Potassium (18% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- EatingWell for a Healthy Heart Cookbook (2008)