Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
From EatingWell: March/April 1994
Full of oats, nuts and raisins, these chewy oatmeal raisin cookies can be enjoyed any day of the week.
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, or pecans
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup apple butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or coat with cooking spray.
- Spread rolled oats and nuts on an ungreased baking sheet and toast until lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes; set aside.
- Combine raisins with water in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat and cook until the raisins are plumped, about 10 minutes. Drain, discarding liquid, and set aside.
- Beat sugar, apple butter, eggs, oil and vanilla in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and cloves into another bowl. Stir the flour mixture into the apple butter mixture with a spoon. Stir in the reserved oats, nuts and raisins; mix well.
- Drop the dough by rounded teaspoonfuls, about 2 inches apart, onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake, one sheet at a time, until lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks and let cool.
Per cookie: 103 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 42 mg sodium; 62 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- March/April 1994