Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
From EatingWell: March/April 1994
Full of oats, nuts and raisins, these chewy oatmeal raisin cookies can be enjoyed any day of the week.
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, or pecans
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup apple butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or coat with cooking spray.
- Spread rolled oats and nuts on an ungreased baking sheet and toast until lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes; set aside.
- Combine raisins with water in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat and cook until the raisins are plumped, about 10 minutes. Drain, discarding liquid, and set aside.
- Beat sugar, apple butter, eggs, oil and vanilla in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and cloves into another bowl. Stir the flour mixture into the apple butter mixture with a spoon. Stir in the reserved oats, nuts and raisins; mix well.
- Drop the dough by rounded teaspoonfuls, about 2 inches apart, onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake, one sheet at a time, until lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks and let cool.
Per cookie: 103 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 42 mg sodium; 62 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1994
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)