Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
From EatingWell: March/April 1994
Full of oats, nuts and raisins, these chewy oatmeal raisin cookies can be enjoyed any day of the week.
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, or pecans
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup apple butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or coat with cooking spray.
- Spread rolled oats and nuts on an ungreased baking sheet and toast until lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes; set aside.
- Combine raisins with water in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat and cook until the raisins are plumped, about 10 minutes. Drain, discarding liquid, and set aside.
- Beat sugar, apple butter, eggs, oil and vanilla in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and cloves into another bowl. Stir the flour mixture into the apple butter mixture with a spoon. Stir in the reserved oats, nuts and raisins; mix well.
- Drop the dough by rounded teaspoonfuls, about 2 inches apart, onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake, one sheet at a time, until lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks and let cool.
Per cookie: 103 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 42 mg sodium; 62 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1994