Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
From EatingWell: March/April 1994
Full of oats, nuts and raisins, these chewy oatmeal raisin cookies can be enjoyed any day of the week.
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, or pecans
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup apple butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or coat with cooking spray.
- Spread rolled oats and nuts on an ungreased baking sheet and toast until lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes; set aside.
- Combine raisins with water in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat and cook until the raisins are plumped, about 10 minutes. Drain, discarding liquid, and set aside.
- Beat sugar, apple butter, eggs, oil and vanilla in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and cloves into another bowl. Stir the flour mixture into the apple butter mixture with a spoon. Stir in the reserved oats, nuts and raisins; mix well.
- Drop the dough by rounded teaspoonfuls, about 2 inches apart, onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake, one sheet at a time, until lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks and let cool.
Per cookie: 103 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 42 mg sodium; 62 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1994