Chewy Molasses Cookies
From EatingWell: September 1997
Redolent of cloves and ginger, these chewy molasses cookies are great for after school snacks.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 large egg white
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup fruit puree fat replacement
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup molasses
- Whisk flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves and ginger in a medium bowl. Whisk egg white, 1 cup sugar, fruit puree, oil and molasses in a large mixing bowl. Add the dry ingredients and stir gently until combined. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray or line them with parchment paper.
- Place remaining 1/4 cup sugar in a shallow dish. Scoop out dough by the scant tablespoonful and, with lightly oiled hands, roll into 1-inch balls. Roll balls in sugar and place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake cookies, 1 sheet at a time, until golden on the bottom, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1; cover and refrigerate overning. Store baked cookies in an airtight container at room temperatue for up to 4 days or freeze for longer storage.
Per cookie: 120 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 158 mg sodium; 69 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Diabetes appropriate
- Preparation/ Technique
- September 1997