Chewy Molasses Cookies
From EatingWell: September 1997
Redolent of cloves and ginger, these chewy molasses cookies are great for after school snacks.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 large egg white
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup fruit puree fat replacement
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup molasses
- Whisk flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves and ginger in a medium bowl. Whisk egg white, 1 cup sugar, fruit puree, oil and molasses in a large mixing bowl. Add the dry ingredients and stir gently until combined. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray or line them with parchment paper.
- Place remaining 1/4 cup sugar in a shallow dish. Scoop out dough by the scant tablespoonful and, with lightly oiled hands, roll into 1-inch balls. Roll balls in sugar and place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake cookies, 1 sheet at a time, until golden on the bottom, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1; cover and refrigerate overning. Store baked cookies in an airtight container at room temperatue for up to 4 days or freeze for longer storage.
Per cookie: 120 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 158 mg sodium; 69 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Diabetes appropriate
- September 1997
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)