Savory Chestnut Puree
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
Try this easy, elegant chestnut puree with roasted quail, turkey or chicken.
- 1 14-ounce jar roasted chestnuts (see Tip)
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- Combine chestnuts, broth, water, thyme and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook, partially covered, until the chestnuts easily break apart, 10 to 20 minutes. Remove the thyme.
- Transfer the chestnut mixture to a food processor; puree until the mixture is very smooth and has the consistency of a thick spread. Add a little more broth if a thinner consistency is desired. Return the puree to the pan; cover to keep warm.
- Reheat over low heat just before serving; thin with a little water, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2 up to 1 hour in advance.
- Tip: Cooked peeled chestnuts are available in jars in the baking aisle or with seasonal foods at many supermarkets.
Per serving: 247 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 177 mg sodium; 639 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (47% daily value), Potassium (20% dv), Folate (19% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2011