Savory Chestnut Puree
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
Try this easy, elegant chestnut puree with roasted quail, turkey or chicken.
- 1 14-ounce jar roasted chestnuts (see Tip)
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- Combine chestnuts, broth, water, thyme and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook, partially covered, until the chestnuts easily break apart, 10 to 20 minutes. Remove the thyme.
- Transfer the chestnut mixture to a food processor; puree until the mixture is very smooth and has the consistency of a thick spread. Add a little more broth if a thinner consistency is desired. Return the puree to the pan; cover to keep warm.
- Reheat over low heat just before serving; thin with a little water, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2 up to 1 hour in advance.
- Tip: Cooked peeled chestnuts are available in jars in the baking aisle or with seasonal foods at many supermarkets.
Per serving: 247 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 177 mg sodium; 639 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (47% daily value), Potassium (20% dv), Folate (19% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- November/December 2011