Savory Chestnut Puree
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
Try this easy, elegant chestnut puree with roasted quail, turkey or chicken.
- 1 14-ounce jar roasted chestnuts (see Tip)
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- Combine chestnuts, broth, water, thyme and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook, partially covered, until the chestnuts easily break apart, 10 to 20 minutes. Remove the thyme.
- Transfer the chestnut mixture to a food processor; puree until the mixture is very smooth and has the consistency of a thick spread. Add a little more broth if a thinner consistency is desired. Return the puree to the pan; cover to keep warm.
- Reheat over low heat just before serving; thin with a little water, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2 up to 1 hour in advance.
- Tip: Cooked peeled chestnuts are available in jars in the baking aisle or with seasonal foods at many supermarkets.
Per serving: 247 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 177 mg sodium; 639 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (47% daily value), Potassium (20% dv), Folate (19% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2011