Savory Chestnut Puree
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
Try this easy, elegant chestnut puree with roasted quail, turkey or chicken.
- 1 14-ounce jar roasted chestnuts (see Tip)
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- Combine chestnuts, broth, water, thyme and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook, partially covered, until the chestnuts easily break apart, 10 to 20 minutes. Remove the thyme.
- Transfer the chestnut mixture to a food processor; puree until the mixture is very smooth and has the consistency of a thick spread. Add a little more broth if a thinner consistency is desired. Return the puree to the pan; cover to keep warm.
- Reheat over low heat just before serving; thin with a little water, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2 up to 1 hour in advance.
- Tip: Cooked peeled chestnuts are available in jars in the baking aisle or with seasonal foods at many supermarkets.
Per serving: 247 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 177 mg sodium; 639 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (47% daily value), Potassium (20% dv), Folate (19% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- November/December 2011