Cherry & White Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream
From EatingWell: July/August 2008
Chunks of white chocolate and cherries make homemade chocolate ice cream even more decadent.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 cups low-fat milk, divided
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 14-ounce can nonfat sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 ounces chopped unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen chopped cherries
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chunks
- Sprinkle gelatin over water in a small bowl; let stand, stirring once or twice, while you make the base for the ice cream.
- Pour 1 1/2 cups milk into a large saucepan. Add cocoa and chocolate to the milk.
- Heat the milk mixture over medium heat until steaming. Whisk egg yolks and condensed milk in a medium bowl. Gradually pour in the hot milk, whisking until blended. Return the mixture to the pan and cook over medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the back of the spoon is lightly coated, 3 to 5 minutes. Do not bring to a boil or the custard will curdle.
- Strain the custard through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean large bowl. Add the softened gelatin and whisk until melted. Whisk in the remaining 1 1/2 cups milk. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours.
- Whisk the ice cream mixture and pour into the canister of an ice cream maker. Freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. During the last 5 minutes of freezing, add cherries and white chocolate chunks to the ice cream maker. If necessary, place the ice cream in the freezer to firm up before serving.
Per serving: 307 calories; 10 g fat (6 g sat, 3 g mono); 91 mg cholesterol; 47 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 2 g fiber; 115 mg sodium; 627 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (28% daily value), Magnesium & Potassium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1/2 low-fat milk, 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- July/August 2008