Cherry & White Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream
From EatingWell: July/August 2008
Chunks of white chocolate and cherries make homemade chocolate ice cream even more decadent.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 cups low-fat milk, divided
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 14-ounce can nonfat sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 ounces chopped unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen chopped cherries
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chunks
- Sprinkle gelatin over water in a small bowl; let stand, stirring once or twice, while you make the base for the ice cream.
- Pour 1 1/2 cups milk into a large saucepan. Add cocoa and chocolate to the milk.
- Heat the milk mixture over medium heat until steaming. Whisk egg yolks and condensed milk in a medium bowl. Gradually pour in the hot milk, whisking until blended. Return the mixture to the pan and cook over medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the back of the spoon is lightly coated, 3 to 5 minutes. Do not bring to a boil or the custard will curdle.
- Strain the custard through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean large bowl. Add the softened gelatin and whisk until melted. Whisk in the remaining 1 1/2 cups milk. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours.
- Whisk the ice cream mixture and pour into the canister of an ice cream maker. Freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. During the last 5 minutes of freezing, add cherries and white chocolate chunks to the ice cream maker. If necessary, place the ice cream in the freezer to firm up before serving.
Per serving: 307 calories; 10 g fat (6 g sat, 3 g mono); 91 mg cholesterol; 47 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 2 g fiber; 115 mg sodium; 627 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (28% daily value), Magnesium & Potassium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1/2 low-fat milk, 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- July/August 2008