Cherry & White Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream
From EatingWell: July/August 2008
Chunks of white chocolate and cherries make homemade chocolate ice cream even more decadent.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 cups low-fat milk, divided
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 14-ounce can nonfat sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 ounces chopped unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen chopped cherries
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chunks
- Sprinkle gelatin over water in a small bowl; let stand, stirring once or twice, while you make the base for the ice cream.
- Pour 1 1/2 cups milk into a large saucepan. Add cocoa and chocolate to the milk.
- Heat the milk mixture over medium heat until steaming. Whisk egg yolks and condensed milk in a medium bowl. Gradually pour in the hot milk, whisking until blended. Return the mixture to the pan and cook over medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the back of the spoon is lightly coated, 3 to 5 minutes. Do not bring to a boil or the custard will curdle.
- Strain the custard through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean large bowl. Add the softened gelatin and whisk until melted. Whisk in the remaining 1 1/2 cups milk. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours.
- Whisk the ice cream mixture and pour into the canister of an ice cream maker. Freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. During the last 5 minutes of freezing, add cherries and white chocolate chunks to the ice cream maker. If necessary, place the ice cream in the freezer to firm up before serving.
Per serving: 307 calories; 10 g fat (6 g sat, 3 g mono); 91 mg cholesterol; 47 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 2 g fiber; 115 mg sodium; 627 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (28% daily value), Magnesium & Potassium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1/2 low-fat milk, 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- July/August 2008