From EatingWell: May/June 2012
Try this cherry sorbet recipe with a dollop of lightly sweetened whipped cream or some more chopped cherries on top.
- 4 cups pitted sour or sweet cherries, fresh or frozen (not thawed, see Tips)
- 1 cup water
- 2-4 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar or superfine sugar
- Puree cherries, water and sugar to taste in a blender until smooth. Strain through a fine sieve, pressing on the solids to extract as much liquid as possible. (Discard solids.) Process in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s directions until firm and slushy. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze until ready to serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze in an airtight container for up to 1 week.Freeze in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- Tips: To pit fresh cherries, use a tool made for the job—a hand-held cherry pitter; it also works for olives! Or pry out the pit with the tip of a knife or vegetable peeler.
- No ice cream maker? Pour the strained mixture into a 9-by-13-inch baking pan and place the pan on a level surface in your freezer. Freeze, stirring and scraping with a fork every 30 minutes, moving the frozen edges in toward the center and crushing any lumps, until firm and slushy, 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
Per serving: 46 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 3 mg sodium; 134 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (20% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- May/June 2012