From EatingWell: May/June 2014
Ready-made crêpes—available near the berries in most produce departments—keep this blintz dessert recipe easy enough for a weeknight but stunning enough for a dinner party. Just a few minutes in the oven melts the lemony ricotta filling to deliciously complement the sweet cherries.
- 3 cups sweet cherries, pitted
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 6 9-inch ready-to-use crêpes
- 2 teaspoons melted butter
- Confectioners’ sugar for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine cherries, water, granulated sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until thickened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine ricotta, vanilla and lemon zest in a small bowl.
- Transfer a crêpe to a work surface, keeping it on its piece of plastic from the package. Spread about 2 tablespoons of the ricotta mixture into a 3-inch-long strip on the lower third of the crêpe. Top with a generous 1 tablespoon of the cherry mixture. Fold both sides of the crêpe over the filling and roll closed. Repeat with the remaining crêpes and fillings (saving enough cherry mixture for topping). Transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops with melted butter.
- Bake the blintzes until lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. To serve, top each with about 2 tablespoons of the remaining cherry filling. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate cherry and cheese fillings (Steps 2 & 3) in separate containers for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 184 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 19 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 7 g added sugars; 20 g total sugars; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 118 mg sodium; 212 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 medium fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- May/June 2014