From EatingWell: May/June 2014
Ready-made crêpes—available near the berries in most produce departments—keep this blintz dessert recipe easy enough for a weeknight but stunning enough for a dinner party. Just a few minutes in the oven melts the lemony ricotta filling to deliciously complement the sweet cherries.
- 3 cups sweet cherries, pitted
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 6 9-inch ready-to-use crêpes
- 2 teaspoons melted butter
- Confectioners’ sugar for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine cherries, water, granulated sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until thickened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine ricotta, vanilla and lemon zest in a small bowl.
- Transfer a crêpe to a work surface, keeping it on its piece of plastic from the package. Spread about 2 tablespoons of the ricotta mixture into a 3-inch-long strip on the lower third of the crêpe. Top with a generous 1 tablespoon of the cherry mixture. Fold both sides of the crêpe over the filling and roll closed. Repeat with the remaining crêpes and fillings (saving enough cherry mixture for topping). Transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops with melted butter.
- Bake the blintzes until lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. To serve, top each with about 2 tablespoons of the remaining cherry filling. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate cherry and cheese fillings (Steps 2 & 3) in separate containers for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 184 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 19 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 7 g added sugars; 20 g total sugars; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 118 mg sodium; 212 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 medium fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- May/June 2014