From EatingWell: May/June 2014
Ready-made crêpes—available near the berries in most produce departments—keep this blintz dessert recipe easy enough for a weeknight but stunning enough for a dinner party. Just a few minutes in the oven melts the lemony ricotta filling to deliciously complement the sweet cherries.
- 3 cups sweet cherries, pitted
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 6 9-inch ready-to-use crêpes
- 2 teaspoons melted butter
- Confectioners’ sugar for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine cherries, water, granulated sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until thickened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine ricotta, vanilla and lemon zest in a small bowl.
- Transfer a crêpe to a work surface, keeping it on its piece of plastic from the package. Spread about 2 tablespoons of the ricotta mixture into a 3-inch-long strip on the lower third of the crêpe. Top with a generous 1 tablespoon of the cherry mixture. Fold both sides of the crêpe over the filling and roll closed. Repeat with the remaining crêpes and fillings (saving enough cherry mixture for topping). Transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops with melted butter.
- Bake the blintzes until lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. To serve, top each with about 2 tablespoons of the remaining cherry filling. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate cherry and cheese fillings (Steps 2 & 3) in separate containers for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 184 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 19 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 7 g added sugars; 20 g total sugars; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 118 mg sodium; 212 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 medium fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2014