From EatingWell: May/June 2014
Ready-made crêpes—available near the berries in most produce departments—keep this blintz dessert recipe easy enough for a weeknight but stunning enough for a dinner party. Just a few minutes in the oven melts the lemony ricotta filling to deliciously complement the sweet cherries.
- 3 cups sweet cherries, pitted
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 6 9-inch ready-to-use crêpes
- 2 teaspoons melted butter
- Confectioners’ sugar for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine cherries, water, granulated sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until thickened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine ricotta, vanilla and lemon zest in a small bowl.
- Transfer a crêpe to a work surface, keeping it on its piece of plastic from the package. Spread about 2 tablespoons of the ricotta mixture into a 3-inch-long strip on the lower third of the crêpe. Top with a generous 1 tablespoon of the cherry mixture. Fold both sides of the crêpe over the filling and roll closed. Repeat with the remaining crêpes and fillings (saving enough cherry mixture for topping). Transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops with melted butter.
- Bake the blintzes until lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. To serve, top each with about 2 tablespoons of the remaining cherry filling. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate cherry and cheese fillings (Steps 2 & 3) in separate containers for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 184 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 19 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 7 g added sugars; 20 g total sugars; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 118 mg sodium; 212 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 medium fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- May/June 2014