Cherry-Lime Gin Rickey
From EatingWell: May/June 2012
Gin, seltzer, bitters, lime juice, cherries and simple syrup combine for a truly refreshing cocktail in this gin rickey recipe. For a nonalcoholic rickey, omit the gin and add a little more seltzer.
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup pitted sour or sweet cherries, fresh or frozen (not thawed; see Tip)
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for garnish
- 2 cups seltzer water
- 1/2 cup gin
- 12 dashes bitters
- Ice cubes
- Bring sugar and water to a boil in a small saucepan and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat. (Alternatively, combine sugar and water in a small bowl; microwave, stirring once, until the sugar is dissolved, about 1 minute.)
- Puree cherries and lime juice in a blender until mostly smooth. Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of the sugar syrup (to taste), seltzer, gin and bitters; pulse to combine.
- Fill 4 rocks glasses with ice and top with the cherry-lime rickey. Garnish with a lime wedge, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To pit fresh cherries, use a tool made for the job—a hand-held cherry pitter; it also works for olives! Or pry out the pit with the tip of a knife or vegetable peeler.
Per serving: 130 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 9 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 92 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (17% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 1/2 fruit, 1 ounce alcohol
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- May/June 2012