Cherry-Lime Gin Rickey
From EatingWell: May/June 2012
Gin, seltzer, bitters, lime juice, cherries and simple syrup combine for a truly refreshing cocktail in this gin rickey recipe. For a nonalcoholic rickey, omit the gin and add a little more seltzer.
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup pitted sour or sweet cherries, fresh or frozen (not thawed; see Tip)
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for garnish
- 2 cups seltzer water
- 1/2 cup gin
- 12 dashes bitters
- Ice cubes
- Bring sugar and water to a boil in a small saucepan and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat. (Alternatively, combine sugar and water in a small bowl; microwave, stirring once, until the sugar is dissolved, about 1 minute.)
- Puree cherries and lime juice in a blender until mostly smooth. Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of the sugar syrup (to taste), seltzer, gin and bitters; pulse to combine.
- Fill 4 rocks glasses with ice and top with the cherry-lime rickey. Garnish with a lime wedge, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To pit fresh cherries, use a tool made for the job—a hand-held cherry pitter; it also works for olives! Or pry out the pit with the tip of a knife or vegetable peeler.
Per serving: 130 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 9 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 92 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (17% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 1/2 fruit, 1 ounce alcohol
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- May/June 2012