Cherry-Lime Gin Rickey
From EatingWell: May/June 2012
Gin, seltzer, bitters, lime juice, cherries and simple syrup combine for a truly refreshing cocktail in this gin rickey recipe. For a nonalcoholic rickey, omit the gin and add a little more seltzer.
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup pitted sour or sweet cherries, fresh or frozen (not thawed; see Tip)
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for garnish
- 2 cups seltzer water
- 1/2 cup gin
- 12 dashes bitters
- Ice cubes
- Bring sugar and water to a boil in a small saucepan and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat. (Alternatively, combine sugar and water in a small bowl; microwave, stirring once, until the sugar is dissolved, about 1 minute.)
- Puree cherries and lime juice in a blender until mostly smooth. Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of the sugar syrup (to taste), seltzer, gin and bitters; pulse to combine.
- Fill 4 rocks glasses with ice and top with the cherry-lime rickey. Garnish with a lime wedge, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To pit fresh cherries, use a tool made for the job—a hand-held cherry pitter; it also works for olives! Or pry out the pit with the tip of a knife or vegetable peeler.
Per serving: 130 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 9 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 92 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (17% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 1/2 fruit, 1 ounce alcohol
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- May/June 2012