Cherry-Lime Gin Rickey
From EatingWell: May/June 2012
Gin, seltzer, bitters, lime juice, cherries and simple syrup combine for a truly refreshing cocktail in this gin rickey recipe. For a nonalcoholic rickey, omit the gin and add a little more seltzer.
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup pitted sour or sweet cherries, fresh or frozen (not thawed; see Tip)
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for garnish
- 2 cups seltzer water
- 1/2 cup gin
- 12 dashes bitters
- Ice cubes
- Bring sugar and water to a boil in a small saucepan and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat. (Alternatively, combine sugar and water in a small bowl; microwave, stirring once, until the sugar is dissolved, about 1 minute.)
- Puree cherries and lime juice in a blender until mostly smooth. Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of the sugar syrup (to taste), seltzer, gin and bitters; pulse to combine.
- Fill 4 rocks glasses with ice and top with the cherry-lime rickey. Garnish with a lime wedge, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To pit fresh cherries, use a tool made for the job—a hand-held cherry pitter; it also works for olives! Or pry out the pit with the tip of a knife or vegetable peeler.
Per serving: 130 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 9 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 92 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (17% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 1/2 fruit, 1 ounce alcohol
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- May/June 2012
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)