Cherry-Fig Tea Loaf
From EatingWell: July/August 1994
Brew some of your favorite tea and pause to enjoy this cherry-fig quick bread.
- 1 cup dried tart cherries
- 1 cup chopped dried figs
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup wheat bran
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9 1/2-by-5 1/2-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Dust the pan with flour, shaking out excess.
- Combine cherries, figs and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Strain, reserving 1/3 cup of the fruit-cooking liquid. Set the fruit and liquid aside in separate bowls.
- Stir together flour, sugar, wheat bran, lemon zest, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together egg, egg whites, buttermilk, oil, vanilla and the reserved 1/3 cup fruit-cooking liquid in another large bowl; beat until smooth. Add to the flour mixture and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Fold in the reserved fruit. Turn the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake until the top is golden and a cake tester inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Loosen edges and invert the loaf onto a rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Per serving: 249 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 326 mg sodium; 186 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1994