Cherry-Fig Tea Loaf
From EatingWell: July/August 1994
Brew some of your favorite tea and pause to enjoy this cherry-fig quick bread.
- 1 cup dried tart cherries
- 1 cup chopped dried figs
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup wheat bran
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9 1/2-by-5 1/2-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Dust the pan with flour, shaking out excess.
- Combine cherries, figs and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Strain, reserving 1/3 cup of the fruit-cooking liquid. Set the fruit and liquid aside in separate bowls.
- Stir together flour, sugar, wheat bran, lemon zest, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together egg, egg whites, buttermilk, oil, vanilla and the reserved 1/3 cup fruit-cooking liquid in another large bowl; beat until smooth. Add to the flour mixture and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Fold in the reserved fruit. Turn the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake until the top is golden and a cake tester inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Loosen edges and invert the loaf onto a rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Per serving: 249 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 326 mg sodium; 186 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1994