Cherry-Fig Tea Loaf
From EatingWell: July/August 1994
Brew some of your favorite tea and pause to enjoy this cherry-fig quick bread.
- 1 cup dried tart cherries
- 1 cup chopped dried figs
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup wheat bran
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9 1/2-by-5 1/2-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Dust the pan with flour, shaking out excess.
- Combine cherries, figs and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Strain, reserving 1/3 cup of the fruit-cooking liquid. Set the fruit and liquid aside in separate bowls.
- Stir together flour, sugar, wheat bran, lemon zest, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together egg, egg whites, buttermilk, oil, vanilla and the reserved 1/3 cup fruit-cooking liquid in another large bowl; beat until smooth. Add to the flour mixture and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Fold in the reserved fruit. Turn the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake until the top is golden and a cake tester inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Loosen edges and invert the loaf onto a rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Per serving: 249 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 326 mg sodium; 186 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1994