Originating in the countryside around the town of Limoges, France, a clafoutis is a baked fruit pudding.
- 1 pound tart cherries, pitted
- 1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup evaporated nonfat milk
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting
- Place rack in upper third of oven; preheat to 375°F. Coat a 9-inch glass quiche dish or other small shallow baking dish with cooking spray. Combine cherries and 1/3 cup sugar in the prepared dish. Bake until the cherries are tender and very juicy, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk eggs, flour, vanilla and the remaining 1/4 cup sugar in a mixing bowl until smooth. Whisk in evaporated milk.
- Drain the juices from the cherries into a small bowl, holding back the fruit with a metal spatula. Reserve the juices. Redistribute the cherries over the bottom of the dish and pour in the egg mixture. Bake until puffed and set, 12 to 15 minutes. Dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve immediately, with the reserved cherry juices spooned over the top.
Per serving: 202 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 106 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 65 mg sodium; 309 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (33% daily value), Vitamin C (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique