Originating in the countryside around the town of Limoges, France, a clafoutis is a baked fruit pudding.
- 1 pound tart cherries, pitted
- 1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup evaporated nonfat milk
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting
- Place rack in upper third of oven; preheat to 375°F. Coat a 9-inch glass quiche dish or other small shallow baking dish with cooking spray. Combine cherries and 1/3 cup sugar in the prepared dish. Bake until the cherries are tender and very juicy, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk eggs, flour, vanilla and the remaining 1/4 cup sugar in a mixing bowl until smooth. Whisk in evaporated milk.
- Drain the juices from the cherries into a small bowl, holding back the fruit with a metal spatula. Reserve the juices. Redistribute the cherries over the bottom of the dish and pour in the egg mixture. Bake until puffed and set, 12 to 15 minutes. Dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve immediately, with the reserved cherry juices spooned over the top.
Per serving: 202 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 106 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 65 mg sodium; 309 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (33% daily value), Vitamin C (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique