Originating in the countryside around the town of Limoges, France, a clafoutis is a baked fruit pudding.
- 1 pound tart cherries, pitted
- 1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup evaporated nonfat milk
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting
- Place rack in upper third of oven; preheat to 375°F. Coat a 9-inch glass quiche dish or other small shallow baking dish with cooking spray. Combine cherries and 1/3 cup sugar in the prepared dish. Bake until the cherries are tender and very juicy, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk eggs, flour, vanilla and the remaining 1/4 cup sugar in a mixing bowl until smooth. Whisk in evaporated milk.
- Drain the juices from the cherries into a small bowl, holding back the fruit with a metal spatula. Reserve the juices. Redistribute the cherries over the bottom of the dish and pour in the egg mixture. Bake until puffed and set, 12 to 15 minutes. Dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve immediately, with the reserved cherry juices spooned over the top.
Per serving: 202 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 106 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 65 mg sodium; 309 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (33% daily value), Vitamin C (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)