From EatingWell: July/August 1994
Here we infuse bourbon and cherries with whole spices. Serve the strained syrup as a liqueur or spoon the drunken cherries and syrup over vanilla frozen yogurt. The longer the bounce ages, the better it gets. This way, you can cherish the pleasures of cherry season far into the winter.
- 4 cups sweet or tart cherries with stems
- 8 ounces sugar cubes, (2 cups) or 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 whole cloves
- 4 allspice berries
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 cups (approximately) bourbon, brandy or rum
- Wash cherries and trim stems to 1/4 inch. Place the cherries, sugar, cloves, allspice and cinnamon in a sterilized wide-mouth quart jar. Pour in enough liquor to cover cherries completely. Cover and let stand in a dark place for at least 2 months.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 174 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 0 mg sodium; 82 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- July/August 1994
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)