Individual Cherry-Blueberry Trifles
From EatingWell: May/June 2010
Easy as can be, these layered cherry-blueberry trifles are a simple make-ahead dessert. We like to use fresh fruit when in season, but frozen (thawed) fruit is delicious and easy.
- 1 1/4 cups halved pitted fresh cherries or thawed and drained frozen cherries
- 1 1/4 cups fresh blueberries or thawed and drained frozen blueberries
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 16 ladyfingers (see Note)
- 1 cup nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt (see Note)
- 4 tablespoons toasted sliced almonds (see Tip)
- Toss cherries, blueberries and brown sugar in a medium bowl. Layer 2 ladyfingers, about 1/4 cup fruit mixture and 2 tablespoons yogurt in four 10- to 12-ounce tumblers or similar-size glasses. Repeat with another layer of ladyfingers, fruit and yogurt. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 1 day. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon almonds just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Top with almonds just before serving.
- Notes: For this recipe, we recommend using ladyfingers with a soft, sponge-cake texture found in the in-store bakery of most supermarkets. The crunchy Italian ladyfingers (sometimes found near specialty cookies) are too big to fit into individual serving dishes and won’t soften as well.
- Greek-style yogurt is made by removing the whey from cultured milk, which gives the yogurt an extra-thick and creamy texture. Look for it with other yogurt in large supermarkets.
- Tip: To toast sliced almonds, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 236 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 20 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 3 g fiber; 30 mg sodium; 183 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 2 carbohydrates (other), 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2010