Individual Cherry-Blueberry Trifles
From EatingWell: May/June 2010
Easy as can be, these layered cherry-blueberry trifles are a simple make-ahead dessert. We like to use fresh fruit when in season, but frozen (thawed) fruit is delicious and easy.
- 1 1/4 cups halved pitted fresh cherries or thawed and drained frozen cherries
- 1 1/4 cups fresh blueberries or thawed and drained frozen blueberries
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 16 ladyfingers (see Note)
- 1 cup nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt (see Note)
- 4 tablespoons toasted sliced almonds (see Tip)
- Toss cherries, blueberries and brown sugar in a medium bowl. Layer 2 ladyfingers, about 1/4 cup fruit mixture and 2 tablespoons yogurt in four 10- to 12-ounce tumblers or similar-size glasses. Repeat with another layer of ladyfingers, fruit and yogurt. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 1 day. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon almonds just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Top with almonds just before serving.
- Notes: For this recipe, we recommend using ladyfingers with a soft, sponge-cake texture found in the in-store bakery of most supermarkets. The crunchy Italian ladyfingers (sometimes found near specialty cookies) are too big to fit into individual serving dishes and won’t soften as well.
- Greek-style yogurt is made by removing the whey from cultured milk, which gives the yogurt an extra-thick and creamy texture. Look for it with other yogurt in large supermarkets.
- Tip: To toast sliced almonds, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 236 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 20 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 3 g fiber; 30 mg sodium; 183 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 2 carbohydrates (other), 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- May/June 2010