Individual Cherry-Blueberry Trifles
From EatingWell: May/June 2010
Easy as can be, these layered cherry-blueberry trifles are a simple make-ahead dessert. We like to use fresh fruit when in season, but frozen (thawed) fruit is delicious and easy.
- 1 1/4 cups halved pitted fresh cherries or thawed and drained frozen cherries
- 1 1/4 cups fresh blueberries or thawed and drained frozen blueberries
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 16 ladyfingers (see Note)
- 1 cup nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt (see Note)
- 4 tablespoons toasted sliced almonds (see Tip)
- Toss cherries, blueberries and brown sugar in a medium bowl. Layer 2 ladyfingers, about 1/4 cup fruit mixture and 2 tablespoons yogurt in four 10- to 12-ounce tumblers or similar-size glasses. Repeat with another layer of ladyfingers, fruit and yogurt. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 1 day. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon almonds just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Top with almonds just before serving.
- Notes: For this recipe, we recommend using ladyfingers with a soft, sponge-cake texture found in the in-store bakery of most supermarkets. The crunchy Italian ladyfingers (sometimes found near specialty cookies) are too big to fit into individual serving dishes and won’t soften as well.
- Greek-style yogurt is made by removing the whey from cultured milk, which gives the yogurt an extra-thick and creamy texture. Look for it with other yogurt in large supermarkets.
- Tip: To toast sliced almonds, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 236 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 20 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 3 g fiber; 30 mg sodium; 183 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 2 carbohydrates (other), 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- May/June 2010