Cherry-Almond Upside-Down Cake
From EatingWell: July/August 1994
Cherries have a natural affinity with almonds; here they unite in a delicious upside-down cake.
- 3 1/2 cups tart cherries, (about 1 1/4 pounds), pitted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons kirsch, or brandy
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2/3 cup sifted cake flour
- 1/2 cup whole unblanched almonds, (3 ounces), toasted (see Tip)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg whites
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- To make topping: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch cake pan with cooking spray. Toss cherries with sugar, kirsch (or brandy) and cornstarch in a medium bowl. Spoon into the prepared pan, arranging the cherries in a single layer; set aside.
- To make cake: Combine flour, almonds, baking powder and salt in a food processor or blender; process until the almonds are ground to a fine meal.
- Beat egg whites in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 1/3 cup sugar, continuing until stiff and glossy. Beat whole eggs and the remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a separate mixing bowl with an electric mixer until thickened and pale, about 5 minutes. Blend in vanilla.
- Whisk one-quarter of the beaten egg whites into the whole-egg mixture. Sprinkle half of the flour mixture over the top and fold with a rubber spatula until just blended. Fold in the remaining beaten whites, then the remaining flour mixture.
- Spread the batter over the cherries in the prepared pan and bake until the top springs back when touched lightly and a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then invert onto a cake plate. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast whole nuts: Spread nuts on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes.
Per serving: 177 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 147 mg sodium; 136 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1994