Cherry-Almond Farro Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 2014
Tossed with a minty vinaigrette, this healthy farro and cherry salad recipe can be served as a light lunch or as a side dish along with grilled chicken, duck or pork. Look for farro—a high-fiber whole grain that is an ancestor of modern wheat—with other whole grains in well-stocked supermarkets and natural-foods stores.
- 1 cup farro, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups sweet cherries, pitted and halved
- 1/2 cup diced ricotta salata or feta cheese
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 3 tablespoons finely diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- Combine farro, water and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer, cover and cook until the farro is tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Drain any remaining liquid and fluff with a fork. Spread the farro out on a large rimmed baking sheet to cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk vinegar, oil, pepper and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Add cherries, ricotta salata (or feta), almonds, onion, mint and the farro. Gently stir to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 277 calories; 13 g fat (3 g sat, 7 g mono); 11 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g total sugars; 7 g protein; 4 g fiber; 339 mg sodium; 183 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- May/June 2014