Cheesy Mashed Potatoes
From EatingWell: January/February 1995
It is well worth seeking out yellow-fleshed potatoes, such as Yukon Golds, for these cheesy mashed potatoes for their rich flavor and appealing color.
- 3 pounds large Yukon Gold or russet potatoes, (about 6), scrubbed but not peeled
- 6 large cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, preferably extra-sharp
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place potatoes and garlic in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and cook until the potatoes are barely tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and let stand until cool enough to handle, about 20 minutes. Peel the potatoes and shred them into a large bowl; set aside.
- Squeeze the garlic cloves from their skins into a food processor. Add cottage cheese and process until completely smooth. Add sour cream, salt and pepper and process briefly to combine. Add the cottage cheese mixture and scallions to the shredded potatoes and mix well. Turn into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with Cheddar and paprika. Bake until golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 212 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 3 g fiber; 657 mg sodium; 820 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (58% daily value), Potassium (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 medium fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1995