Cheesy Mashed Potatoes
From EatingWell: January/February 1995
It is well worth seeking out yellow-fleshed potatoes, such as Yukon Golds, for these cheesy mashed potatoes for their rich flavor and appealing color.
- 3 pounds large Yukon Gold or russet potatoes, (about 6), scrubbed but not peeled
- 6 large cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, preferably extra-sharp
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place potatoes and garlic in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and cook until the potatoes are barely tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and let stand until cool enough to handle, about 20 minutes. Peel the potatoes and shred them into a large bowl; set aside.
- Squeeze the garlic cloves from their skins into a food processor. Add cottage cheese and process until completely smooth. Add sour cream, salt and pepper and process briefly to combine. Add the cottage cheese mixture and scallions to the shredded potatoes and mix well. Turn into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with Cheddar and paprika. Bake until golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 212 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 3 g fiber; 657 mg sodium; 820 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (58% daily value), Potassium (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 medium fat meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- January/February 1995
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)