Cheesy Mashed Potatoes
From EatingWell: January/February 1995
It is well worth seeking out yellow-fleshed potatoes, such as Yukon Golds, for these cheesy mashed potatoes for their rich flavor and appealing color.
- 3 pounds large Yukon Gold or russet potatoes, (about 6), scrubbed but not peeled
- 6 large cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, preferably extra-sharp
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place potatoes and garlic in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and cook until the potatoes are barely tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and let stand until cool enough to handle, about 20 minutes. Peel the potatoes and shred them into a large bowl; set aside.
- Squeeze the garlic cloves from their skins into a food processor. Add cottage cheese and process until completely smooth. Add sour cream, salt and pepper and process briefly to combine. Add the cottage cheese mixture and scallions to the shredded potatoes and mix well. Turn into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with Cheddar and paprika. Bake until golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 212 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 3 g fiber; 657 mg sodium; 820 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (58% daily value), Potassium (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 medium fat meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1995