Cheesy Mashed Potatoes
From EatingWell: January/February 1995
It is well worth seeking out yellow-fleshed potatoes, such as Yukon Golds, for these cheesy mashed potatoes for their rich flavor and appealing color.
- 3 pounds large Yukon Gold or russet potatoes, (about 6), scrubbed but not peeled
- 6 large cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, preferably extra-sharp
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place potatoes and garlic in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and cook until the potatoes are barely tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and let stand until cool enough to handle, about 20 minutes. Peel the potatoes and shred them into a large bowl; set aside.
- Squeeze the garlic cloves from their skins into a food processor. Add cottage cheese and process until completely smooth. Add sour cream, salt and pepper and process briefly to combine. Add the cottage cheese mixture and scallions to the shredded potatoes and mix well. Turn into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with Cheddar and paprika. Bake until golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 212 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 3 g fiber; 657 mg sodium; 820 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (58% daily value), Potassium (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 medium fat meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1995