Cheesy Broccoli-Potato Mash
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
Mashing broccoli with cheese and potatoes might just be the ticket to getting your kids to eat their veggies.
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into wedges
- 3/4 pound broccoli crowns, chopped (4 cups)
- 3/4 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk, heated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a large pot. Place potatoes in a steamer basket and steam for 10 minutes. Place broccoli on top, cover and steam until the potatoes and broccoli are tender, 6 to 8 minutes more. Transfer the broccoli to a large bowl and coarsely mash with a potato masher. Add the potatoes, cheese, milk, salt and pepper and continue mashing to desired consistency. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 135 calories; 4 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 329 mg sodium; 201 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 high fat meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- September/October 2007
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)