Cheesy Broccoli-Potato Mash
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
Mashing broccoli with cheese and potatoes might just be the ticket to getting your kids to eat their veggies.
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into wedges
- 3/4 pound broccoli crowns, chopped (4 cups)
- 3/4 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk, heated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a large pot. Place potatoes in a steamer basket and steam for 10 minutes. Place broccoli on top, cover and steam until the potatoes and broccoli are tender, 6 to 8 minutes more. Transfer the broccoli to a large bowl and coarsely mash with a potato masher. Add the potatoes, cheese, milk, salt and pepper and continue mashing to desired consistency. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 135 calories; 4 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 329 mg sodium; 201 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 high fat meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2007