Cheesy Broccoli Baked Potatoes
From EatingWell: September/October 1994
Here we top baked potatoes with sharp Cheddar and broccoli (use up those leftovers!) in a crowd-pleasing favorite. Make it a Meal: Serve with Mixed Green Salad with Chive Dressing.
- 4 medium russet potatoes
- 1 cup low-fat milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (1/2 cup)
- 1 cup cooked small broccoli florets
- Salt & cayenne pepper, to taste
- Pierce potatoes all over with a fork. Place in the microwave and cook at 50% power, turning once or twice, until the potatoes are soft, about 20 minutes. (Or, use the “potato setting” on your microwave and cook according to the manufacturer’s instructions.)
- Heat 3/4 cup of the milk in a small saucepan over medium heat until steaming, about 4 minutes.
- Stir together flour and the remaining 1/4 cup milk in a cup until smooth. Add to the hot milk, stirring constantly until the mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Season with salt and cayenne.
- Distribute broccoli over the baked potatoes, top with the cheese sauce and serve.
Per serving: 269 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 0 g mono); 19 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 4 g fiber; 218 mg sodium; 989 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (56% daily value), Potassium (28% dv), Calcium (21% dv), Folate (18% dv), Vitamin A (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1/2 high fat meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1994